Risks, rights and the role of the state: Leaders’ Forum
Leaders' Forum : Networking Event
Woodland Grange Conference Centre, Leamington Spa
12:30 Thursday, 14 June 2018 to 13:00 Friday, 15 June 2018
Leaders' Forum is a two-day residential event (14th - 15th June)
- Overview and programme
- Aimed at
Overview and programme
Children’s and Adults’ Services are concerned not only with addressing risk and harm, but also promoting rights and social justice. Leaders seeking to achieve this balancing act may face policy tensions, both within and between Children’s and Adults’ Services and across multi-disciplinary partnerships. Exploring the evidence regarding risk and rights highlights leadership implications for creating a coherent system and raises questions about the role of the state in people’s lives.
Run jointly by Research in Practice and Research in Practice for Adults, Leaders’ Forum will bring together colleagues from statutory and voluntary sector organisations, policy and academia to discuss the balance between risk-responsiveness and rights-enablement and to explore the role of leaders in creating the conditions required for practitioners to navigate this complex terrain.
- Dr Adi Cooper, Visiting Professor, University of Bedfordshire
- Christine Cocker, Senior Lecturer in Social Work, University of East Anglia
- Dr Nick Axford, PenCLAHRC Associate Professor in Health Services Research, Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry, Plymouth University
- Dr Vashti Berry, Senior Research Fellow, NIHR CLAHRC South West Peninsula (PenCLAHRC), University of Exeter Medical School
- Nimal Jude, Department for Education/Department of Health and Social Care
- Professor Brigid Featherstone, Head of Department (Behavioural and Social Sciences), University of Huddersfield
- Stephen Milton, Innovations in Dementia
- Andrew Webb, Former Corporate Director, Stockport Council
- Julie Wilkes, Grandparents plus
- Dr Jo Warner, Reader in Social Work, School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research, University of Kent
- Amanda Taylor, Senior Lecturer, University of Central Lancashire
- Professor Vania Sena, University of Essex
- Pam Miller, Senior Analyst, NSPCC
- Martin Carnell, Office of Data Analytics
- Dr Danielle Turney, Centre Head, Children and Families Research Centre, University of Bristol
- Alex Ruck Keene, Barrister and Honorary Research Lecturer, University of Manchester
- Clenton Farquaharson MBE, Chair of Think Local, Act Personal (TLAP)
- Mark Neary, Author, Counsellor and Trainer
Additional speakers to be confirmed shortly.
Directors, Assistant Directors and strategic managers from Partner organisations across the Research in Practice/Research in Practice for Adults networks.
About Leaders' Forum
This event is held jointly by Research in Practice and Research in Practice for Adults. It is a unique opportunity for senior leaders from across Adults' and Children's Services to come together and discuss emerging issues.
The programme includes sector-specific breakout sessions as well as joint sessions and presentations from key academic and policy experts. It provides a superb opportunity to network, share challenges and solutions with colleagues from across the sector, and hear up-to-date research on topics of relevance.
Attendance (including overnight accommodation and catering) at the event is included in organisational membership to Research in Practice/Research in Practice for Adults at no additional cost.